View Single Post
Old May 16th, 2022, 09:54   #5
amazighman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripmax View Post
Both of the above are true. However, the collars tend not to fail unless it's had a hard life (spirited driving/towing/very high mileage).

When viewing the car, crawl underneath and see if you can spin the propshaft with your hand. If it spins, the collar is toast and the AWD will not work.

Much less common, but my 2004 V70R had total bearing failure inside the angle gear due to improper lubrication which seems to be a known fault with these. If the oil is even slightly lower than it should be, it is not picked up sufficiently by the bevel gear and the bearing on the output shaft eats itself to pieces.

Luckily none of the actual gears were damaged, so repairing it was a case of opening it up then installing new bearings and seals. (Total about £450 with genuine Volvo parts as a DIY job.)

2 trips to the Scottish Highlands (1200~ miles each), NC500 (1600 miles) and 9 months of daily driving later, it's still going strong.

450quid for bearings and seals , Damn those volvo guys are expensive , Found a place that refurbish the angle gear for 550 as an exchange.

I will try if i can spin the propshaft , if i cant i might put my phone on recording and drive on it and see if that prop spins.

Most of these cars have done some towing and are all high milers , hard to find low mileage examples
amazighman is offline   Reply With Quote