Thread: Amazon: - New (to me) 1963 Volvo 122
View Single Post
Old May 19th, 2022, 16:04   #862
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
... The tyres cost me £130/set delivered, similar ones from F1 would have been about £260 fitted; the tyre changer was £58 and the balancer £79 - so the new tools have almost paid for themselves already - I'm just £7 down, throw in a few valves and weights and I'm only a tenner in the red. The good bit is I can fit more tyres at minimal cost, like this set of 205/55R16 winter tyres I bought for only £110/set to replace the Skoda's winter boots:

:-)

Alan
Carrying on from my tyre changer/wheel balancer post...

Today was a second wasted day waiting for Amazon (the Prime sort, not the Volvo) to deliver a new cell phone. I waited in all day yesterday (it has to be signed for) but I'm pretty sure it was pilfered. Amazon says it is still on its way today, but I think the only place it is on its way to is being sold in the pub. Ho hum, anyway, I thought I might as well do something useful, so I have changed the Skoda's winter tyres for new ones.

I bought the old (Yokahama) winter tyres with a set of steel wheels for just £50, I only really wanted the steel wheels but the tyres were okay and I have got two winters use out of them. They are 10 years old now, two have been repaired and they are starting to crack a little - time to change them thought I (but I certainly got my money's worth out of them!).

This set of tyres took me less than half as long to change as did the ones on GAM. Partly this was due to the 6.5J wheels being much easier to work with than the skinny rims on GAM, but mostly it was down to me mastering taking off and fitting tyres.

The tyre changer really does make things easy. The old tyres were off in perhaps half an hour, then I gave the outside of the rims of lick of black Hamerite paint (brushed) and left them to dry on Dan's trampoline whilst Bob and I went for a walk.

The new winter tyres were easy: new valves, tyres fitted and inflated took perhaps 15 minutes each. The tyre balancer only takes a few minutes per wheel once it is set up:

I perhaps missed a trick in that I put half the weights on the outside of the rim and half on the inside - as I had to with GAM's small wheels. On the much wider 6.5J wheels there would have been plenty of room to put them all in the middle, out of sight.

I'm really happy with the outcome: the new tyres for the Skoda were only £110/set, and they are proper directional winter tyres. That is about the same as I pay to have one of the Skoda's Continental summer tyres supplied and fitted. Apart from about a fiver for some valves and weights that was the entire cost of a new set of winter tyres. I reckon my tyre changing machine and balancer have paid for themselves already.

:-)

Last edited by Othen; May 19th, 2022 at 16:24. Reason: Spelling error.
Othen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post: