Thread: Amazon: - 2nd Generation Grill
View Single Post
Old Jun 20th, 2019, 17:44   #4
gothamus

Default trim

That's pretty much how I've been doing it.

The part I find difficult is getting some kind of clip or something to hold the trim to some spots on the rim. Mine never looks as good as all the others I see. But what do I expect until I do some intense metal work or plop down some cash for a new nose?

When I cleaned up the grill from it's rust and mess I got it perfectly clean to shiny metal. It's too bad it can only stay that pretty until I take them outside. I tried different products to keep that shine and nothing works. The opposite of preserving, actually. I came across a second pair recently and cleaned them up. This timeI got some automotive mirror finish spray paint, not expecting much. It's worked much much better than I expected. Some sun light reflecting off the bumper gets reflected again, off that grill! They look like clean chrome which I didn't expect.

I was able to get some new cross pieces, free of dents, scratches and sunburned dullness. I'm afraid to touch them, much less put them on the car where any stranger could touch 'em! They have been wrapped up on the top shelf. I thought of hiding them from the curious in-laws staying with us. Forget the antiques, these things can dent if dropped! I should ease up, maybe. But it's not like I have a pristine car. If I use them it will make the condition of everything else stand out that much more. Maybe I will keep them on the top shelf.
gothamus is offline   Reply With Quote