View Single Post
Old Jun 3rd, 2020, 09:59   #6
burak25

This guide has been blessing. Unfortunately, I failed removing Gearbox nuts (one in the small ring, 12 oclock position in the photos. I tried lubricating and of course supporting with jack etc. Failed. I have to take it to a proper service for this now (either power tools or some other solution might be needed). At least I know what they need to do now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gatos View Post
Do you have the Volvo M56 gearbox, or the Renault M5P one? The way you can tell, is from the location of the reverse gear on the gearknob. If the reverse is under the 5th gear, then you have the VOlvo M56 gearbox. If you have the reverse on the left of the 1st gear, then you have the M5P gearbox.

Here is how to access the reverse light switch on the 1.9D with the volvo M56 gearbox. It it is pretty much the same as the 1.8 with the M56 gearbox

Here is my latest guide:

P { margin-bottom: 0.21cm; }P.western { } This guide is for the replacement of the Reverse Light Switch on the Volvo M56 manual gearbox. If you have the Renault M3P or M5P gearbox or the Mitsubishi engined gearbox, then the location of the sensor and the procedure is different. If your reverse lights are not working or sometimes work after wiggling the gear lever, then it is most probably due to a faulty Reverse Light Switch.

Tools needed:
  • Rachet with small extension
  • 8mm, 10mm, 13mm and 18mm sockets
  • 22mm deep socket
  • Trolley Jack
  • Torque wrench
Before you get started, make sure you have the anti-theft radio code

The reverse light switch is located under the gearbox mounting bracket, which will have to be undone. The mounting bracket supports the weight of the gearbox on that end so we will need to place a trolley jack under the gearbox and raise it just enough so it just supports its weight.
Photo1 (need to take and add one)

The job can be done without removing the battery, but I personally chose to remove it out of the way in order to have more space and better access. First of all, you will need to remove the battery clamp (red circle) and disconnect the two terminals (yellow circle).

Unplug the connector to the MAF sensor (Red arrow). Loosen the jubilee clip using the 8mm socket (green arrow) and pull out the hose. You can also use a flat blade screw driver to undo the jubilee clip screw). Undo the four clips (yellow arrow) securing the top cover of the air filter box and remove it. Depending on the model of your car, you may have to unclip some more wiring looms or hoses attached to the air filter box.

Undo these two 10mm bolts and remove the bottom half of the air filter box.

You can now see the gearbox mounting bracket. The reverse light switch is under it. Loosen the 18mm nut (green arrow) but DO not remove it. Undo and remove the 3 13mm bolts (red arrows).

You can now swivel the gearbox mount out of the way and you will see the reverse light switch. Disconnect the connector and use the 22mm deep socket to undo the switch.

Replace with new reverse light switch and tighten to 25Nm. Plug the connector back on. Swivel down the gearbox mount and Tighten the 3 13mm bolts of the gearbox mounting at 50Nm. Be careful not to over torque these 3 bolts too much, because otherwise you risk damaging the aluminium treads on the gearbox. Then tighten the 18mm bolt to 98Nm.

Follow this guide in the reverse order to put everything else back together.
burak25 is offline   Reply With Quote