View Single Post
Old May 9th, 2020, 14:26   #7
marm

OK guys, thanks. Limited paperwork with the car - nothing has any mention of the radio code.

As mentioned previously I have a couple of spare modernish head units here already so no need to buy something new - I actually have a DAB unit which might be a worthwhile upgrade although I do quite like the idea of playing a few cassettes in the car.

As stated in the OP I've also already ordered an ISO adapter lead - hopefully using this will be straight forward but if the original head unit doesn't have a built in amplifier (line rather than speaker outputs) then I was wondering how you gain access to the speaker wiring...

And reading between the lines it seems I might need an adapter/bezel for the fascia as well...

For the time being I will see if I can get the original up and running first, it may well be good enough for my purposes. Interesting to hear though that they are not considered to be very good - my experience of manufacturer's stereos from this period is that they vary considerably - I'd hoped that being an expensive car, and with an separate amplifier etc., it might be half decent.

I'm aware from reading around that later 940s had changes made to the audio system - bigger speakers in door cards etc., so maybe there was an attempt to make some improvements to later cars? Also indicates that standard "upgrade" components are not always the drop-in upgrade they promise to be...

Re things moving on - good quality car audio was certainly available 25 years ago but it was often expensive - as a young driver I was quite into car audio and I heard and helped install some impressive systems back in the late 90s... but I agree that cheap units nowadays are often impressive. The downside is often ergonomics - I don't like flashing lights, menus etc on my car radio. The Volvo radio certainly doesn't suffer from any of that!

Will report back on my findings. Thanks again.
marm is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to marm For This Useful Post: