Thread: 940 HPT or LPT
View Single Post
Old Sep 11th, 2019, 22:28   #19
arctan

Quote:
Originally Posted by griston64 View Post
The LPT will have been less stressed. As its exactly the same engine and turbo and you said you are modding, all you need to do is fit a manual boost gauge ( or a different actuator )and you have an HPT or more depending on how high you go with boost.

Lots of people on here have modded LPT to over 300bhp
Just out of curiosity, is it just the actuator that is different? Are there other differences between the FT and FK, like the ECU? I'm thinking of grabbing a lower mileage turbo next time I'm at the scrap yard- I've had one go on an FT at 180k, and an FK at 160k, probably poor service historys etc. The FK came slightly modded- no CAT, Chipped, and MBC, so probably thrashed a bit before me (pre 80k). It had a bit of 'Turbo lag' which made it a pain when in traffic, so much so that I wound down the boost to nearer standard. And maybe the chipped aspect meant advanced ignition, which may have meant more unwelcome heat on an LPG car?
My current FK is at 140K, hence my thinking of having a spare turbo on the shelf (possibly rebuilt at leisure) , rather than an expensive reconditioning bill at short notice.
It's hard to remember, but I think I prefered the FT. Before the redblocks I had a 3 litre 960, which was fun, apart from the expense!
arctan is offline   Reply With Quote