View Single Post
Old Nov 15th, 2021, 08:00   #1
Waveslate

Default Swapping CD changers in P1 Volvos (S40, V50, C30, C70)

So, a friend and I have recently gotten into the whole 'changing the CD player of the P1 Volvo S40' ordeal. Having little to no experience with this particular subject, our initial assumption was that it should all boil down to a rather simple plug-and-play swap (oh, how wrong we were).

Anyway, this forum has a lot of useful information that has helped a lot, but we still have a handful of questions that we couldn't find the answers to. That's why I've resorted to making a new thread (hope it's helpful to other people who may be looking into the matter as well).

So, here's what we've learned so far:

Changing the CD player is possible (but not the entire unit)

Swapping out the entire CD player unit is not possible, however, replacing only the internals is. In other words, as far as I understand, the PCB in the outer metal casing of the CD player/changer itself is paired to the ECU and needs to be kept. So, if I'm not mistaken, you can either:

1. Change the internals of the busted CD unit and keep the PCB.
2. Transplant the PCB into a new CD unit, provided that it is compatible (and on that topic - is there a compatibility list of version/revisions of the CD units on P1 Volvos).

Swapping a single CD unit with a 6CD changer

Here's where things get murky. Is it possible to change a single CD unit for a 6CD one, provided that the original PCB that's paired to the ECU is kept in place?

Sorry for the long post! Any further information would be greatly appreciated!
Waveslate is offline   Reply With Quote