View Single Post
Old Mar 14th, 2019, 21:36   #2
Dash300
High Grand Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassenach View Post
Hi

My wife was driving our 64-reg V6 D4 on Tuesday when the steering wheel started shaking violently from side to side, requiring her to use considerable force to retain control as she brought the car to a safe halt. The RAC towed the car to our local garage, who found that power assistance has been lost and that the steering can be made to oscillate continuously when the wheel is placed in certain positions with the engine running, even when the vehicle is stationary.

You can view a video of this happening here: https://youtu.be/McQrpsGKP0w

Putting aside that fact that it is going to cost us £1,200 to have the steering rack replaced, I am worried about the safety implications of this failure and am extremely glad that my wife wasn't travelling at speed when it happened. I felt it was important that Volvo was made aware of the incident, but when I phoned UK Customer Relations today, they couldn't have cared less. They said they would only be prepared to look at the issue if I had the car towed at my expense to my local Volvo service agent (30 miles away). If I was in their shoes, I would be a little more concerned about what had gone wrong with one of their cars.

I would be really interested to know if anyone else has come across a similar problem, or could advise me how pushy I should be with Volvo to take an interest in the safety implications of the fault.
That's the sort of damaging 'viral footage' which will make Volvo respond pretty quickly! Send them a copy with the description you have posted above and let the forum know how they respond. Volvo forum awaits!
Dash300 is offline   Reply With Quote