View Single Post
Old Oct 11th, 2019, 19:49   #1125
Danjwilko

Hi guys I'm in the tyre research phase of ownership for my XC90 D5 sport, tyre size is 255/50/r19s most recommendations are for the 17s going through all 100 odd pages.
Currently have Michelin latitudes on which are after 9k down from circa 8mm to 3.2-2.mm front to rear iirc around 20% motorway rest a-b road commutes. Not impressed with the wear if I'm honest as I'm a pretty smooth driver always use gears to slow ahead of time and gentle cornering. Grip in the dry and wet on tarmac is fine however loose gravel and wet grass quite poor if I'm honest. 10mph on a slight run off on the side of the road the back end was sliding only the front which hot tarmac first prevented a full on slide. We basically live down a single car lane potholed and undulated with gravel and grass verges however some of it is badly deteriorated to the point your almost offroading haha.

Anyway 3 questions I can think of off the top of my head

For the UK's sporadic weather would you run winters or all seasons all year round rather than two sets of wheels.

I've seen a few posts mentioning the use of 55 profile rather than the 50 and I've found the 55 (I'm guessing due to more common use on land rovers) cheaper overall saving around 100-200 per full set make and type dependant. Would these be a viable tyre size option? No scrubbing etc

Lastly I guess what tyre would you recommend in the 50 or 55 profile either all season or winter?

I may end up buying a set of 17s later on but as I need tyres and coming up to winter I thought I'd do my research and ask.

I'd have gone Michelin CCS but due to the current tyre wear I was put off of putting down £180 per corner. If they're not going to last.

Cheers all

Last edited by Danjwilko; Oct 11th, 2019 at 20:14.
Danjwilko is offline   Reply With Quote