View Single Post
Old Jul 14th, 2019, 13:55   #1
grovies

Exclamation XC40 Key fob battery

Bought my XC40 in May 2018, so so pleased with it, absolutely love it. This year however at the end of May I was visiting a friend and we went out in my XC40, no problems at all. On exiting the car I clicked the fob to lock it, however, it wouldn't lock so checked no doors were open etc but no, all was good. I couldn't lock it using the boot lock button so got back in the car to start it and nothing happened. I was on the outskirts of a town, 2 hrs away from home, it was pouring with rain and I couldn't lock or start my car. I contacted the dealership I purchased it from for advise who told me to contact Volvo Assistance and they thought it might be that the battery in the fob was dead, however, I had had no warning of this at all. I called Volvo Assistance who informed me that their recovery do not carry spare batteries for the key fobs for the XC40. Without any warning and being a women on my own (although on that day i was with a friend thankfully) i did feel somewhat vulnerable. I took it upon myself to contact the local volvo dealership 20 mins away who had a battery, and leaving my car unlocked, had to get a friend of my friend who was with me to take me there.

Once the key fob had a new battery all was well. I do feel however that if i had waited for volvo assistance, not only would they have either (1) had to go to the local dealership to get a battery or (2) put my car on the back of the truck.

Why no warning I have no idea. My V40 I had before did have a warning that the battery needed replacing.

If I was on my own, at say a service station in the dark I would have felt incredibly vulnerable. I would have had to stay with the car, unable to lock it .

Please please volvo, lets get an update to the software so that we can have a warning of this. It was out of the blue and could happen at any time, anywhere.

I now have to carry a spare battery in the car just in case
grovies is offline   Reply With Quote