View Single Post
Old Oct 6th, 2018, 09:49   #32
Zebster
Upstanding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
Can you post a photo of the 1L concentrate you bought for topping up? Preferably two photos, one of the front, the other of the back assuming it has labels front and back.

It sounds very like the 1L concentrate is ethylene glycol and there's a very high chance the yellowy-orange stuff in your car is OAT so whatever you do, don't add it until you verify what's in there, what it should have and what's in the 1L bottle.
Surely you're confusing two completely different aspects of the coolant mixture? Ethylene glycol is an antifreeze, while OAT is an anti-corrosion treatment.

What I was really asking is does anyone here know which type of coolant Volvo use in my car? So ethylene glycol/OAT, or propylene glycol/phospate, or ethylene glycol/silicate, or whatever combination of antifreeze/anti-corrosive?

The (blue) concentrate I recently bought came from a Volvo dealer. However the (orangey) stuff in my reservoir was put in earlier this year by a Volvo dealer (after replacement of my EGR cooler).

However it is my long-held understanding that colour is largely meaningless and cannot be relied upon for compatibility purposes.

Last edited by Zebster; Oct 6th, 2018 at 10:03.
Zebster is offline   Reply With Quote