View Single Post
Old Oct 6th, 2018, 11:20   #36
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebster View Post
It's hardly 'semantics' to want to use the correct antifreeze/corrosion inhibitor for your vehicle! With all due respect, if you think it's merely semantics then your advice should be disregarded.

Just because I do happen to be familiar with many of the common combinations used for vehicle coolant, it doesn't mean I actually know which ones are needed for my Volvo... obviously I already looked in the owners manual (which merely recommends the use of 'Volvo coolant').

I stand by my assertion that coolant colour is NOT a reliable indicator of suitability or compatibility.

I will seek advice elsewhere.
I agree - it's not semantics to want to use the right coolant/antifreeze, however you were picking me up on my use of "OAT" as an umbrella term for all antifreezes containing that technology, pointing out that the primary use of OAT is for anticorrosion in all-aluminium engines.

You will almost certainly find that your antifreeze is classified as OAT, best place to seek that alternative advice is from the guy who filled your cooling system and/or the Volvo dealership he works at. If they can't help, approach Volvo and ask the question about what that specific Volvo coolant contains.

While i agreed to a point colour isn't always a definitive indicator, in general use it is. The manufacturers of the antifreeze did this themselves so as to easily identify OAT from ethylene glycol.

Speaking of which, if Volve can't/won't give you a definitive answer on what their coolant contains, ask for the name of the manufacturer that supplies them with it and the part number they use to order it from said manufacturer.

Then approach that manufacturer and ask what's in it. Don't be surprised to find the manufacturer is either someone you've never heard of supplying Volvo with Volvo branded containers of the antifreeze or that it's someone like Tetrosyl, Comma or similar that supply Volvo in bulk with both bulk containers of 1000L (can't think of the name of them just now) and also retail packs of 1L and 5L bottles.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote