View Single Post
Old Apr 3rd, 2018, 15:51   #172
Army
marches on his stomach

Default Solution for headlining removal

Turns out I was correct in my assumption of how the headlining is held in place on the sides and front of the roof.

The shark´s teeth system is used - the headlining is folded and stuffed in between the body and the toothed ribbed bit.

It is a bit tedious to remove. I resorted to brute force and hoiked it out of position a bit with a flat blade screwdriver (not what screwdrivers are designed to do but hey ho this isn´t the first time they´ve been used this way and it probably won´t be the last)

Sometimes the headlining comes out easily other times you wish you hadn´t started this job!

Once the sides have been released - working from the front of the vehicle - the hoops holding up the headlining can be twisted 90 degrees towards the back of the car and then compressed / bent out of their positioning holes.

When my headlining was fitted someone was careful enough to wrap each end of the hoops in fabric before fitting.

The last hoop at the back of the car was the only one to be held in place with two clips =>

Turns out the shark´s teeth bits above the doors are screwed onto the body whereas the other rear and front sections are spot welded into place.

(Ignore super bright red welding overalls!)

These removable front sections can only be removed with the headlining out of position but it is done this way to allow access to the windlace / fabric edging around the doors.

####

After a little bit more removal of bits I now have a stripped shell

(This wasn´t the plan but as I used to say ¨it came off in me hand chief¨)
1992 Mercedes 190E The car that works!
Army is offline   Reply With Quote