View Single Post
Old Dec 20th, 2018, 13:33   #525
Ron Kwas
Premier Member

Army

Am I to take from this that you are using Heat-Shrink tubing to "add in some level of water tightness to this system"?

Ahem...I don't mean to rain on your good intent, but the sleeving used for harness doesn't need (and doesn't even want) to be, HS, because 1. HS shrinks (obviously!) when exposed to heat, but it gets unnecessarily hard (I suggest you get and use standard PVC electrical sleeving in various IDs, rated to UL 94V-0 [105Deg C], same as used in SW-EM Kits), and 2. along the length of harness is not where excluding moisture is important (wire insulation, if undamaged already does a good job at that...moisture exclusion is important at the ends and terminals, and crimps, where copper conductor is exposed and crimped into connectors, and if you have taken a look at any of my writings on electrical subjects on the SW-EM page, you will see that I highly recommend ACZP for this.

Combined with proper stripping, and use of that pro crimping tool to crimp quality connectors (see also: http://www.sw-em.com/Wiring%20Notes.htm#Wire_Strippers ), that will result in a quality, reliable harness, which will give troublefree service for a loooong time.

The label maker is a nice touch, but if you are going to keep the standard color code (very good practice!) I'd be happy with just a Wiring Diagram (modified to show any changes or additions), because this gives me a complete overlook...

Cheers!
Ron Kwas is online now   Reply With Quote