Thread: D5 regen
View Single Post
Old Nov 21st, 2019, 21:16   #2
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven9233 View Post
Looking at forums I’m pretty sure DPF and associated issues have been done to death . My Xc70 2011 which was formally my fathers car , has never once shown any sign of dpf issue (now touching a large piece of wood )

Popped down shop last night and when turned off heard the sound that metal makes when cooling , touched the exhaust tips and they were super super hot ! No cooling fan as suggested by many that can happen , I realised that due to the fact I only just driven a few miles I must of interrupted a regen cycle.
Therefore out of nothing other than interest , I set my alarm 20 mins early this morning and took the car down the carriage way before work ,
Set the gearbox in manual (4) and sat at 50mph or there abouts with cruise on.
This is when I have found the definitive regen tell tell. After a couple of miles at this speed and revs at 2200-2500 the instantaneous MPG dropped from 45ish to 21mpg , I watched as this swung around 21-26 over the next 7 - 10 minutes (interrupted by cancelling cruise for roundabouts )
Then suddenly the mpg shot back to mid to late 40s . Did not notice any difference in noise or feeling of the engine just the MPG.
I am aware the car sorts out the regen automatically and do not need to do what I have stated to get a regen going , only did this from interest. Might be of some interest to fellow D5 owners ? If not apologies I know it’s a well covered topic , what did surprise me is the need for the regen ! As over the last few weeks I’ve done more than a few longer fast runs , which to be honest I do not normally do, therefore I can only conclude the regen by the ecu is triggered by time / miles ? I don’t know and to be honest I don’t care as long as it carry’s on working and doesn’t fail and cost the same as a decent second car to fix . For note it is the D5 2.4 dual turbo engine , guess it’s the same for most volvos . I do very short runs normally school/work only 3 miles away , but I’m aware of the dpf fear and make sure I drive a decent run once a week say 15-20 miles , and occasionally a motorway run. Car is now 8 years old , only 55,000 miles with full history (Castrol edge ) and like I said so far never had an issue , if it wasn’t for that ticking noise of metal cooling after a short run wouldn’t of had a clue up until then of any regen activity
The DPF regeneration takes care of it's self and you are not supposed to notice anything , the ECU works out how full the DPF is, it calculates the weight of soot in there and when circumstances are right it will start a regeneration when it passes the limit . more or less every new tank of fuel ..
There is always black soot coming from the engine , The DPF collects it , it doesn't matter how you drive really ...as long as you give it a chance with some 50 mph cruising to regenerate when you can .. It is a robust system ..