View Single Post
Old Apr 22nd, 2019, 10:32   #42
Dash300
High Grand Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebster View Post
While I really want to disagree with you and your Fred Dibnah-like yearning for a primitive dipstick, the apparently unreliable and/or inconsistent manner in which Volvo have implemented an electronic substitute in the VEA engine means that I am currently forced to agree with you.

I was told by the system to put in 0.5L and the guage showed the level to be below minimum. Instead I added only 0.25L and the gauge then jumped up all the way to maximum... obviously this monitoring system cannot be trusted. However I take your point that people with car problems (and people who like to whinge) are disproportionately represented on car forums.

There are several reports on the forum of people dutifully obeying repeat instructions to add 0.5L of engine oil, then being informed by their dealer that they have overfilled the sump. Again, this does suggest that the monitoring system is unfit for purpose.

It is hard for me to believe that a Volvo dealer could either fail to correctly reset the system or to have added the wrong volume of oil at the last service. Nor how either of those failings could properly explain the issue that I have recently suffered.
Assuming you still do not know what the actual oil level in your sump is, are you going to take the car in for the main dealer to check? It will be interesting to know what they say!
Dash300 is offline   Reply With Quote