View Single Post
Old Sep 9th, 2018, 08:51   #399
norustplease

Quote:
Originally Posted by Army View Post
Colour for this car has been a problem for me from the beginning.

Part of the problem I think is that I don't like the look of the front of the car.

It has taken me a bit of time to figure out exactly what the problem is: I ended up comparing similar styles / designs and I now reckon the reason why I prefer the look of the front of a Morris Minor =>

Is because it is more rounded.

{Pictures nabbed from wikipedia}

I think that's why people break up the front of the PV by adding spot lights and US style bumpers. Anyway (off on a tangent as usual), because I don't like the front of the PV the whole colour problem has been a difficult one to resolve.

I decided that the original colour - 72 Fawn Brown is better than the dodgy red it used to be - but it is one heck of a dull colour. It is too samey - it seems like most PVs are red and when they're not they're more often than not some sort of browny colour.

So - to cut a long story short - I'm going along with dull and drab but with a twist and experimenting with a bare metal look for the outside. The inside of the car is going to be in the original colour no matter what happens (I need to crack on with something and stop messing about) but the outside might be going a little bit custom.

After a bit of searching about I found a French company called Stardustcolors that does loads of different custom paints. Amongst their product range is a product called Cellcover. This is especially made to go directly onto bare metal. (In particular steel - which is harder to find a solution for - aluminium is easy even Mipa sell stuff for that but a solution for steel is harder to find in Europe)

So a bought a load of special for steel clear coat and gave it a go =>

I'm impressed with the results so far - but it is too shiny - I need a matte finish. I'm in the process of figuring out how that can be safely achieved...

...to be continued.
You must be joking.....!!!! Volvo's come in white, greens, blues, greys and black as well as beige and red. Lacqered bare metal.....yukk. plus, a couple of stone chips and you'll have real rat look!
norustplease is offline   Reply With Quote