View Single Post
Old Feb 17th, 2018, 16:20   #63
Army
marches on his stomach

Default Front cross member progress

A few days back I cleaned up the underside of the chassis rails and coated this area in cold galvanising Zinga stuff - I learnt about Zinga via Land Rovers where lots of stuff is galvanised...

...much like normal (hot) galvanised parts you need to be very careful when welding it - the fumes can kill ya deed. Still Zinga reckon it is something you can weld through if you´re careful with PP.

Jigging up the position =>

Trouble at mill =>

Welding with TIG proved to be pretty inappropriate - too much of the rust proofing gunk kept coming out of the joints from the chassis rails - making the welding area way way too dirty for TIG

I resorted to welding with farm yard arc welding rods - say what you like about stick welding on cars but it has gotten me out of many a tight spot before when things are just too grotty to get decent penetration.

I´ve finished the front bits but as I´m taking out the engine to reseal all the leaks I figured I might as well remove the subframe and get better (welding) position for the harder to reach parts on this front cross member.

So to be continued
1992 Mercedes 190E The car that works!
Army is offline   Reply With Quote