View Single Post
Old May 6th, 2021, 19:42   #2
I-S
Premier Member

Not directly experience of the P8 or XC40, but I've owned EVs since 2017.

On motorway driving I would expect the XC40 to be a bit worse (due to worse aerodynamics and otherwise shared components) than the Polestar 2, so expect consumption between 330 and 400Wh/mi, and thus range at 70mph to be about 160-180 miles in winter, and about 220-240 in summer.

Tyres can have something of an impact. I put Michelin Crossclimate+ on my Leaf 24kWh (215/50R17) and it made about 3-5 miles of difference to the range, but again dependent on conditions (heavy rain caused greater impact due to the amount of water the crossclimates shifted). Make sure that your tyres are properly inflated, and that might be a higher recommended pressure than you are used to (my current EV has recommended pressures of 42psi/2.9bar). There is a new breed of EV-optimised tyres starting to come out (eg Michelin e.Primacy and Michelin Pilot Sport EV) which may give you a few miles extra range and may last a few thousand miles longer (the torque and weight of an EV can cause more rapid wear of the tyres, the EV optimised tyres are designed to take this better).

A major software update has just been released for the Polestar 2, so I would imagine that the XC40 would receive that same update which will probably address some of the glitches in the system. It also adds additional app functionality.
I-S is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to I-S For This Useful Post: