View Single Post
Old Mar 25th, 2014, 10:33   #1
spannermedonky
weekend spanner spinner

Default XC70 rattly driveshaft?

Morning People,

After investigating a front suspension knock / rattle on my ’54 2.5T auto I seem to have traced it back to the driver side drive shaft, it has maybe 3mm of lengthways travel with a sharp knock when it reaches either end of the said travel, I checked the passenger side, this had the same travel but no knock, it seems to have a springy pull towards the gearbox.

I have checked the drive shaft bolt by removing the wheel centre cap and this is tight, there is no axle ping, no knocking then at full lock (I have to do a u turn every day driving to work and can hear nothing). The noise sounds like something loose and doesn’t relate to suspension movement ie when hitting a bump or rebounding, it sounds like something loose and jiggling the drive shaft in and out seems to replicate this noise, it sounds very much like the brake pads would if they had no anti rattle springs. If I open the window I can’t hear the noise from outside, it can only be heard inside and is fairly loud unlike rattly pads that can be heard outside but not in.

Coincidently this noise started shortly after changing the front springs, the car was mot’d directly after this, the mot station used a shaking table type ramp to fully exercise the suspension with no advises other than the bushes are starting to show their age, the tires seem to be wearing normally.

However I’ve jacked the car up and given all the components a severe wiggle, ie, wheel in all directions to check for track rod end and lower ball joint, wiggled the spring including the top to check the swivel plate which I thought was at fault, the drop links and anti roll bar all of which seem fine. The rubber cushion also looks to be in good shape with the spring seated correctly.

Soo I think my question is, has anyone had a similar drive shaft rattle, and if so how fixed or am I barking up the wrong tree, I believe the suspension is very similar to other models of Volvo so I would be surprised if no one has had this. I forgot to check the drive shaft gaiters although I would not expect them to have any influence on end float and as I said the car was mot’d just before the rattle started / was noticed.

Many thanks in advance for your help.
2004 Volvo XC70 2.5T, geartronic, 171000 miles, IPD stage 1 anti-roll bars, BRC LPG system, Stainless BRC exhaust, polybush suspension, solar charging, roof mounted spare, EBC yellow pads, EBC dimpled and grooved discs, stainless braided brake lines
spannermedonky is offline   Reply With Quote