View Single Post
Old Sep 23rd, 2015, 18:21   #5
bruderoc

A bumb for this thread as I seem to have the same problem, I think .

On my 2002 S60 D5 I have replaced my full front suspension (apart from the wishbones which are alright on the bushings) but still I get a knocking when going from forward to reverse, as if there is play in my splines.

However there is no play in the splines, but both left & righthand driveshaft can be move along it's axis for around 3mm (so move to/from engine).

It makes a steel on steel sound when hitting it's extremities, and I think is the culprit of making a one/2 times knocking sound when steering 60-100% and from reversing to forward.

I realize there should be play in the driveshaft to aborb any movement from the wheel up/down, but it seems to be 'loose' on both outer & inner CV and therefore 'floating' between to C.V.'s

Sound isn't replicated when keep going reversing or going forward or pulling torque with hand brake engaged.

Boots of the c.v. seem to be fine (no leaks), no play in rotating sense and both center hub bolts are nicely tightened.

Could a lack of grease in the C.V. cause this knocking sound, as it doesn't absorb/dampens the movement/play of the driveshaft? And if so, what is the easiest way to repack it with grease, or more worthwhile to get a secondhanded?

Should the driveshaft actually be moving when weight on wheels? Or should it be without any play on inner or outer joint (so fixed on either side, to prevent 'floating' behavior)?

It's driving me mad as it makes a nice car sound cheap as a Dacia Duster.
bruderoc is offline   Reply With Quote