View Single Post
Old Oct 6th, 2019, 23:50   #1
WrathOfKain

Question Diagnosing Core Plug Issues

I am currently trying to get my hands on a decent XC90 E3 model but fearful of this dreaded CORE PLUG issue. Amazed me to hear such a cheap part failing could result in such a consequence, but i suppose thats just the way of things.

Anyway I am looking for a better understanding of tell tale signs. I am distance buying and often see oil leaks mentioned in the MOT advisories and being a glass half empty type of person my first thoughts are "core plug?!". I know these are aged vehicles and may just have a wee innocent weep/leak.

And of course its probably not the case this issue is as prevalent as i think but the very first XC90 i had booked to go and look at was pulled at the dealership with the core plug issue and he reckoned he had seen a fair few before.

I know there is no crystal ball but if i have a mechanic looking a vehicle over for me is there anything i can point him to or does it all just come down to a massive loss in oil ?

Is there a typical range of miles where if it was to fail that it would fail? i.e. if it was going to fail it would have failed in the first 100,000 ?

Also if I did end up getting stung with a core plug issue what would it cost to get repaired?

Merci Buckets
WrathOfKain is offline   Reply With Quote