Thread: Where to look?
View Single Post
Old Jun 12th, 2019, 20:07   #2
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dippydog View Post
To begin with the car is a '95[M] 960 3L auto saloon with a sunroof.The problem: went to it this morning drove it quarter mile and left it ticking over while I got some tools out of my Omega,got back in the 960 and the amber arrow in the dash cluster was flashing also the lights on the "W" and "E" buttons on passenger side[and just ahead of the gear selector]were flashing alternately.Drove about mile and a half put petrol in and still had flashing lights,drove mile and a half home and heard a slight crackly type noise which seemed to come from behind the dash in the ashtray/radio area.Couple of minutes later drove another mile and a half-still had flashing lights-and about 15 mins later started it to drive the mile and a half home-and no more flashing lights.During all of this the car drove perfectly normally.I'm wondering if water has got at something after all this rain,but if so where do I look and how do I cure this?It's not done anything like this before even after being washed with a pressure washer.
Sounds very like the PNP switch on the gearbox aka inhibitor switch. Not sure which fuse holds the memory in the gearbox ECU or if you can clear the fault codes with the code reader (if you have one) but many others have found a cure by moving the lever (engine off) from park to 1 and back several times very quickly.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post: