View Single Post
Old Apr 19th, 2019, 11:53   #13
stuarts

Quote:
Originally Posted by id5 View Post
An unexpected coincidence, I have been looking for a thread on driving on space savers. I had a puncture yesterday on the front nearside after hitting a pot hole on our V40. I replaced it with the space saver and had problems driving on it. The punctured wheel was 225/45/R18 and the space saver R16. The car would drive okay, then start to pull the steering to the left, the pull increasing over a short distance before it would release and go back to a straight line. A novice or nervous driver would not have been happy driving with the problem. It gave the feeling of something binding up, hitting a limit and jumping out.

I had the tyre replaced and the car feels fine but I am concerned that there could have been damage to the drive train somewhere. Does anyone know?
Whilst no expert on these systems, the symptoms you describe are exactly the same as mine. The transmission on mine got so hot after approximately seven miles that it burst the diff front seal, letting out the oil in a strong flow. The oil was so hot it was crackling (it sounded like a bad weld being carried out). The accompanying smoke had me on the phone to the fire brigade.
I suspect that the effect is worse on the rear, being a secondary drive with most power designed to go through the front end.
stuarts is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to stuarts For This Useful Post: