View Single Post
Old Jul 28th, 2012, 14:18   #1
GDPR
USER DELETED FOLLOWING GDPR REQUEST

Default Noises since alternator/water pump replace

S40 1.8 05 petrol

Few months ago my car cut out, when it restarted it was making a whirling noise and warning symbol of power failure.

The alternator needed replacing which garage done for me, but it didnt fix the whirling noise. after removing belts they discovered it was the water pump. They replaced it and the whirling is now gone.

but...

now when the car is at 1000-1500 revs (so not for long) it makes a low pitch blowing sound (thought it was the exhaust - its not) and i high pitched squeal (like some cars make when cold -belt?) almost like the car is struggling at this rev. Once the rev's go beyond it run normal.

It doesnt do it much pulling away in 1st (guessing as revs usually above 1k) but if i drop down to 2nd / 3rd without stopping at junction etc it makes the noises.

The garage had the car back and they don't no what it is and i took it from mot/service at another place and its still doing it.

Does anyone know what it is? and is it because the garage removed belts etc to find the original whirling noise and not put the belts back on correctly?

Would really appreciate any help!

Thanks
Nick
GDPR is offline   Reply With Quote