Thread: Deadlocked out
View Single Post
Old Dec 10th, 2019, 02:37   #18
oragex
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reggit View Post
The drivers keylock is a pure mechanical device and works if the main car battery is dead. It will release the deadlock on that door if it's functioning correctly. I can only assume there is a rod or something that's failed in the door mechanism. Never been inside a volvo door, so don't know for sure.

Exactly, both the driver's door and the trunk lock (when present, such as in the S60) work and will open the door/trunk lid even if the car battery is disconnected. Quite common for the lock mechanism inside the door to fail - quite a few people mentioned this on forums. Unfortunately, one finds out about this only when the battery goes flat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
Originally Posted by oragex View Post
Some early XC70 had a trunk lock under a small black plastic cap, but your 2004 most likely doesn't. Try calling some road assistance. They know how to pull on the door and reach the handle from inside. Once opened, just lower the window and bend back the door frame so it stays aligned as before.

Have you ever tried bending a volvo door? I don't think so :-)
Clan, yes it works but only on the window frame - at least the S60 driver's door, the frame near the B pillar. It's actually quite flexible. I got locked out of my car and a garage guy came with a kit (don't want to mention here for safety reasons) and slid a wire by the door frame, and opened from inside. The frame got bent so I had to lower the glass, grab the frame with my hands and bend it back to the correct shape. On another note, I get what you mean, the metal sheet of the body panels are crazy thick on this car, I have a dent on the front fender, no way I could press it back from behind.