View Single Post
Old Sep 25th, 2018, 18:57   #7
XC90Mk1
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waynedance View Post
Out of interest what's the reason you would not have a remap etc.

Looking for views from both camps.
Back in the 1990s for high output you would buy a turbo engine and increase the boost. At limits you would require upgraded cam/cranks etc.

You now have a vehicle with probably around 25 different control modules all communicating and thousands of variable and parameters. Having changed the auto fluid in mine there are many parameters, temperature, Solonoid activations etc etc and the chances of getting issues are high on a standard car. But for £200 an outfit can review all of these parameters, ensure they all remain within specification and provide more power, better efficiency and no reduction in emissions or reliability, I don’t believe it.

Also cars, including Volvo all have their week points, on the xc90 it’s the splined sleeve, tensioner failures, AOC unit etc etc, and you are now going to put a lot more power through it but it won’t cause it to break earlier....

My understanding also is that it was not Volvo that protected the ecu by ensuring it could not be flashed, it was Bosch’s who protected it specifically to protect this kind if event happening. You can flash and then the ecu will scan for alterations in the map and realise. The ecu is opened up flying ‘frig’ the scan and ensure it can’t take place. As an engineer myself it seems logical that there will be a element of caution from the factory but more power, more efficiency and no drop in reliability is too much to ask...

I am in no way reflecting on your chosen company, I have not used them, but I would not do this without expecting increased wear and tear and potentially faults (which is fine if you are happy to shell out for it).

Of course, I don’t write ecu maps, maybe I am simply set in my way and don’t understand all this. As I said earlier I would be interested to hear how you get on, maybe I am wrong and the manufacturers do leave gaping performance, economy and other gains to be had.
XC90Mk1 is offline   Reply With Quote