Thread: V50 General : - Thermostat replacement
View Single Post
Old Mar 4th, 2021, 06:18   #25
F55MCS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thassos View Post
Hi Jb,

Good news, you dont have to empty all the coolant for this job.. i recall just draining off some and then topping up with fresh (volvo) coolant, def not worth messing with other brands of coolant unless it has been filled with something else, not sure what year your car is but the volvo stuff is a bluey colour, and you can get it in 1L and 4L sizes, be worth checking its dilution beforehand to see if its in need of a replacement, but adding some concentrate (i notice a lot of companies are selling 'pre diluted' stuff just to confuse and i guess offer better value 😂hmm think ill buy my evian in the supermarket .. but anyways my top tip for draining off is to locate the drain tap thats on the (passenger side end) of the radiator volvo have for oncemade something easy here, and you just need to position a suitable container to catch the stream that come thru the hole in the plastickery.. having tried removing the bottom rad hose in the past (messy!) was rather chuffed finding this useful maintenance feature...the awquard to get at 8mm bolt however is not in this easy to access camp...

What temp does yours get to?, it seems to be a very common fault on these engines and well worth fixing.. lukewarm heating (never great in the winter) and rubbish fuel and oil consumption are the symptoms as the engine is never warming up to its intended op temp..
That’s great news indeed, thank you. Does the system need bleeding after topping off?

Mine does sometimes get to the centre of the gauge but only if I’m sat stationary at lights or something. Otherwise it’s between 1 and 2 clicks below the centre. Oddly like the chap above I seem to get heat out of the vents (though I’ve never turned it up to see exactly how much, perhaps I should do that later).

Fuel economy is clearly not good though, looking like I won’t even get 300 miles on this tank. I’ve only just got the car so not sure exactly how bad this is but I was hoping for at least 400!
F55MCS is offline   Reply With Quote