View Single Post
Old Dec 7th, 2017, 14:09   #35
ThomasG
Aka MadBabs

Right.. My rather personal answer (by that I mean: I'm not saying its right way, nor advise others to follow, do as you please):
I will keep indicator on as long as it needed. In traffic, I'd cause more suffering by making someone believe that I'm going to go straight, than by dazzling him/her.
For brake/N thing:
I'll stay in D on traffic lights. Will switch into P only if expected wait time is more than 2 or so minutes, and even then- not always.
Reasons for that:
My gearbox is rather worn. It received its first oil change at roughly 235000miles, and that was after developing "bumps" and "thumps". It improved with oil, but damage is done, won't go away, and by frequent engaging/disengaging I would shorten its life even further. So, not-unless necessary.
As for brake lights- I'm in city. Streetlights on all night. Human eye soon adjusts to bright spots and darker shadows. I agree, it would be bad behaviour on my side if I was on a pitch black suburban road.
That doesn't happen often.
And if it does, I (provided I remember about it) will either " creep" forward or hold the car by handbrake. First one still having brake lights on, but one can't have everything perfect.

Damn.. Had a phone call just now and I lost my train of thought..

Anyway, I know I'm not the perfect driver. And I do things my way, trying to accommodate needs of my car, needs of me myself, passengers if any, and fellow road user. As to which gets priority depends on circumstances combined.
ThomasG is offline   Reply With Quote