View Single Post
Old Jul 21st, 2018, 07:51   #1472
petey
Master Member

I’d been asking if people use Wynn’s engine flush and quite by chance, YouTube suggested I watch SiRobb’s Liqui Moly engine flush video; very interesting and useful.
I’ve always used Wynn’s on oil changes since I were a wee lad having worked in Halfords. We had a couple of demo jar, one of old oil with no flush and the second of (allegedly) the same sample but with a proportion of Wynns flush in it. Clearly, the treated sample would pour much easier and stick to surfaces far less. This isn’t what you want from an engine oil, but it is what you want when you’re trying to get it all out, and that’s how I believe it to work:- by and large you simply drain a lot more of the old stuff out. I struggle to see it breaking huge chunks of crap off because bluntly I use good oil and change it regularly, there won’t be a lot of carbon rubbish in there. I hope.
Historically, at oil change time I try and leave the car draining as long as possible, overnight is best, but over lunch for sure. I’m lucky in that I have a two post ramp so the car is level as it drains, which as pointed out, does no harm at all. I always sacrifice about a half litre of fresh synthetic oil down the oil filler and another quarter sloshed down the oil filter housing whilst it’s all draining and I get the golden oil one is looking for, even after a few thousand miles.
I also aim to get the oil as hot as I can before draining it out. I don’t start from cold and let it idle for ten minutes, it goes on a run that’s doing plenty of harm to my monthly fuel economy figure and comes back steaming. I leave the engine running until just before the plug comes out and only then do I switch off.

Seems to work for me at least....
petey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to petey For This Useful Post: