View Single Post
Old Feb 5th, 2019, 17:50   #8
biggbn
I've Been Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-S View Post
I'll agree with one for sure

Lexus LS400
The engineering excellence underpinning this car can't be overstated - I think there had never been up to that point a car more thoroughly and comprehensively engineered, including the likes of Rolls Royce. Some will no doubt say it was soulless and lacked "character" compared to its competition, but compare a mk1 LS400 now with its contemporaries (eg E32, W126, C-Body DeVille, XJ40) and the LS is clearly the template of the modern class. The others are shockingly dated by comparison.

Tesla Model S
Regardless of your personal feelings towards Elon Musk, Tesla or EVs in general, it is undeniable that the Model S has been, is and will continue to be an absolute game-changer. Now in its 7th year it is outselling newer, better-built, more luxurious Ss and 7s (and LSs) that in 20 years time will look like complete dinosaurs by comparison. This is the car that marks the change from ICE to EV and will hold a significant place in motoring history.

Citroen Traction Avant
Arguably more significant than the DS - the Traction Avant was a unibody, fully independent suspension, front wheel drive saloon car.... released in 1934. The impacts of this car are still felt in the cars we drive today.
I was torn about traction avant, it's certainly 6th place in my ever changing list.

James may made a great point recently, since it's inception, a Volkswagen golf is really all the car you ever need...its ubiquity is both it's curse and attraction I guess, and from mk1 on I can see what he is driving at, no pun intended
biggbn is offline   Reply With Quote