View Single Post
Old Jun 18th, 2019, 14:04   #28
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welton View Post
I appear to be the only person thinking this but here goes:

Regular high mileage should allow you to increase the time between oil changes, the oil is hot for longer and not under stress so will last longer.

Thinking back to 1990's BMW's and the company I worked at had 4 or 5 BM's with the famous 'countdown' service indicator lights. The car's computer would monitor the number of starts/mileage/oil temperature and vary the oil change time to suit. Some of the high miles guys would get over 30,000 miles whereas the 'town' drivers would be 12,000 ish....
volvo have had an oil sensor for the last 13 years which monitors oil quality , oil temperature and Oil level in conjunction with the service light parameters of time , Mileage and how long the engine has been running .. if it deems that the oil is needing change it will put up an " Oil Service Required " message . However i have never heard of this message appearing , so it seems the regular servicing mileage of 18000 miles or one year oil changing if fine . This is backed up by the internals of the engines always bright and shining with no deposits .