View Single Post
Old Apr 22nd, 2012, 11:43   #2
AB-UK
Premier Member

Gizmo,
I note that no-one has replied yet.
I don't have written instructions either since I bought my Aero bars from ebay some time ago.

Do you have the funny-shaped tool with your bars? This is a form of torque wrench, supposedly to stop you over tightening the bars.
If not, so long as you have a star-shaped allen-key type tool then you will have to tighten as much as you feel is necessary, just as every other type of roof rack is fitted.

The Aero bars have a limited spring at each end - they can be compressed a little, like a Bullworker (Exercise equipment from the 80s I recall).

Open the plastic cover by twisting the circular plastic plug. Then you open up the jaws on each end using the supplied tool, or another which fits properly.

Standing on one side of the car, push the aero bar against the roof rail on the far side, so that it goes into the "jaws" of the bar. Push the jaws on this end forward, slip over the rail on this side, and allow it to spring back with the rail inside the jaws. Hey presto - fitted! Tighten, and refit the plastic cover with the fiddly circular stud.

I have mine fitted to a roof box, which two of us can just about lift onto the roof. I put blankets on the roof first as scratch protection "just in case". I get my Wife to lower her side just inside the rails, and then I push from my side so the jaws push onto those rails, and then I clamp them onto my side.

A bit long-winded I know, but I hope it helps.
AB-UK is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AB-UK For This Useful Post: