Thread: Engine: 2.3 F/Inj B23E/B230F: - Cold start hesitation
View Single Post
Old Jan 23rd, 2021, 09:15   #7
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifford Pope View Post
Spark plugs, HT leads, distributor cap and rotor arm were new last year, and I regularly clean the IAV anyway.

I didn't know that about the cold start injector only spraying while turning the starter motor - is that peculiar to the 5th injector, or to all the injectors?
I'd just assumed that the mixture was generally enriched while cold-running.

The ECU temperature sensor seems the best easiest check - it came with the car about 5 years ago, so is of unknown age.

I'm wary of removing injectors, but it may come to that. The last (only) time I've done that was on a previous 240 when I suspected the seals were leaking. I found it a nightmare getting them back in again - they took so much force I was worried I'd damaged the new seals.
What make were the HT leads and did you gap the plugs correctly when fitting?

The main 4 injectors all spray while the engine is being cranked and running, when cold the ECU increases T.inj or injection time to richen the mixture. The cold start injector is arbitrary enrichment purely for cold starting and isn't fitted to all models, even thoe with the same engine management system.

I would check the plug gaps (correct if needed) and also the plugs themselves for any sign of arcing or similar on the porcelain insulator. Also check there is no corrosion (whilte and flaky usually) on the connectors inside the dizzy cap. While yo're under the bonnet, also check the air filter is still clean.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote