Thread: 7/9 Values
View Single Post
Old Feb 18th, 2020, 23:02   #25
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by john.wigley View Post
Apropos Mini tyres, 'L.S.', I used to consider myself fortunate to get 3K out of the front and 5K the rear of a '61 Minivan running 10" cross-ply remoulds. In terms of pence per mile, the Volvo would almost certainly be more economical on tyres. In contrast, I got 27 and 33 respectively out of the O.E. Michelins on my first and only new car, a '78 Mini 1000 (still running 10").

Regards, John.
These would have been radial remoulds john on my mates Mini in about 1985 (car was 1980) but i doubt their lifetime was any longer. Given we were both doing about 12-15k a year, that would explain why he was going through tyres more or less monthly.

As for Michelins, i've not rated them since the tender age of 6 when a pair on my pushbike failed.
Another pair was duly sought and fitted and they didn't last long either, not to mention the grip wasn't great.
Next set i bought was a budget pair of tyres, as recommended by the bike shop. They lasted about twice as long yet were half the price and gripped a lot better.

Similar story has been repeated with car tyres so these days i won't keep Michelins on the car any longer than is absolutely necessary and won't even shortlist them when looking at new tyres.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post: