View Single Post
Old Feb 1st, 2018, 20:23   #1
Underdrive

Default Brake master cylinder

I'm currently sorting a few issues with the brakes on my '63 Amazon (with single line non servo system) and have removed the master cylinder to hopefully just fit new seals, however the cylinder bore is too damaged to make a successful repair. So I am left with a few options, Brookhouse have both original and repro new ones with appropriately different prices. I personally don't like the original design which doesn't hold a lot of fluid in the reservoir and I prefer to be able to see the fluid level easily at a glance, so am looking at alternative options. There are universal master cylinders (with plastic reservoirs) available from the likes of Girling and Wilwood that will fit without modifying anything (I don't have a problem with fitting non original parts that can easily be swapped back by myself or a future owner), however the original one is 7/8" bore and most of these alternatives are no bigger than 3/4". So my main question is, will a 3/4" MC be OK to use and why did Volvo fit a 7/8" one? Many other vehicles produced at the same time with single line and no servo had 3/4" MCs such as Triumph, MG and Land Rover among others. Your opinions please.
Underdrive is offline   Reply With Quote