View Single Post
Old Dec 24th, 2018, 12:24   #8
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

The short answer is most definitely not legal to use a trailer.

If you are contemplating doing something like this you must know your weights - all of them - it's your legal and social responsibility.

I think the 2001 V70 XC and 2006 XC70 are essentially the same car, the maximum towing weight of any model in this range was 1,800 Kg (if I recall correctly) and the AWD models typically weighed around 1,700 Kg. The smallest, lightweight car trailers start at around 450 Kg so your trailer weight will be a minimum of 2,150 - that's 20% over weight which is a £300 on the spot fine, potential summons and prohibition notice (i.e. your car siezed until you unload the trailer).

In practice it will probably tow it okay, if you know what you are doing and are careful but in reality is it worth the risk? A car towing the same model is a red rag to a bull for the DVSA as they know that it will be in excess of most passenger car limits. The Police are less likely to bother you as few of them know the law in detail - but some do.

If you must risk it - get a lightweight car trailer where the car sits low between the wheels, not a big heavy flatbed where the car sits high, but the advice above if your best bet I think - hire a suitable vehicle.
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135

Last edited by Tannaton; Dec 24th, 2018 at 12:27.
Tannaton is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Tannaton For This Useful Post: