View Single Post
Old Oct 11th, 2018, 21:13   #12716
clarkey1984
Premier Member

Yeah we are going full on from the ground up on it, I still can't quite fathom how the garage came to the conclusion that smoke only when warm and only briefly after idling is the bottom end but despite their investigation into the smoking issue they only charged me for the mot which is really good.

As I have as long as it takes to do it with no deadline so to speak I'm pretty sure I'll buy a forged setup for the bottom end, modded T5 manifolds, bigger turbo, I'll do the necessary blasting on the head to get it clean ( perks of working for a blasting company) bigger valves, get the head ported as well, uprated injectors, a nice 3 inch exhaust system and get it mapped, should see a nice 300 horse then.

I have had quite the headache with insurance though, my company couldn't offer cover on the new one, something about the insurer (I was through one quote direct) catered for higher risk drivers or vehicles, the 2l didn't fit that criteria, so then they started from the beginning and got the numbers from all the firms they pull quotes from, 1400 quid a year was the answer, no thankyou, so off to compare the market and confused, the cheapest still around the 900 mark, 3rd party was around the same, in the end I stuck with fully comp but cranked up the voluntary excess as high as it would go and managed to get down to 740 a year, which in the real world is a shade over 800 due to paying monthly, still 100 dearer than the group 32 t4 was, it's madness, 8 insurance groups lower and more to cover, but then I guess that's what 9 penalty points does for you, although I already had those when I got the t4, it makes no sense.

Last edited by clarkey1984; Oct 11th, 2018 at 21:16.
clarkey1984 is offline   Reply With Quote