View Single Post
Old Oct 27th, 2019, 09:33   #7
Clifford Pope
Not an expert but ...

One or two points struck me:

First one is the batteries take up a great deal of space - I hadn't fully appreciated that. Taking out the back seat is a lot - I'm not sure there's much point in a 2-seater Volvo estate

No motor to run the power steering

No hot water for a heater

No vacuum for the brake servo

There's a Youtube article on a classic short wheelbase Landrover conversion, and the electric motor was so small they fitted all the batteries where the old engine had been.
Acceleration was incredible - far too quick for safe ordinary use, and much faster than ordinary IC cars. He usually left it in top gear. I can't remember what its range was, but I think it was greater than the 40 miles of the Volvo conversion.

Just a thought that if you went for direct drive and no gearbox you could fit the motor under the floor near the back axle and free up the whole engine/gearbox space for batteries. (Or turn the axle back to front and use the space under the boot floor)

It's a fascinating subject anyway, and I'm sure there will be design improvements over the next 10 years. Or else electric cars will be superceded by something else anyway.

Last edited by Clifford Pope; Oct 27th, 2019 at 09:35.
Clifford Pope is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Clifford Pope For This Useful Post: