View Single Post
Old Apr 7th, 2014, 09:49   #17
swedishandgerman
Premier Member

We managed another full day on the rear corner on Saturday

Our man Tail has done a super job of fixing in place the bottom panel which is a much more difficult job than the fluted panel on the saloon. So that's job done. The window frame is properly repaired and completely solid. Just needs a hole for the trim piece, some filler and painting. Another job done on the tick list.

Next, we ran into a problem area right at the bottom 1" or so of the arch which had deteriorated and separated from the inner arch. A lot of head scratching was done and there were serious discussions about getting the old car into a bodyshop for complete new arches, but after many hours of careful cutting out and making up of new sections, we finished with a good solid and shaped arch that just needs tidying up and finishing off.

Next, we have to progress to the other side which is no way near as bad as the window hasn't leaked. There's a small hole inside the arch behind the mudflap and the fluted panel is repairable.

When I refer to 'we' above, it's all Tail's work. I stood around like a prick and supplied tea!

A query: can anyone recommend where you can order spray can paints without someone going, "Volvo Light Yellow 97? That's not a proper paint code!"

For the small areas that need painting, we're going to spray can it. If it turns out terrible and when my purse is less empty, I'll get it painted proper

I just can't wait to get this old car out on the road now!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 020.jpg (112.0 KB, 44 views)
1970 Amazon 2-Door
1970 142DL

Last edited by swedishandgerman; Apr 7th, 2014 at 09:51.
swedishandgerman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to swedishandgerman For This Useful Post: