View Single Post
Old Mar 22nd, 2018, 18:44   #17
Army
marches on his stomach

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueosprey90 View Post
I'm having trouble deciding what to do about my floorboards.

My driver's side had some rust through and I thought I would use the POR-15 floor pan kit to treat the floor with the POR-15 and the POR-15 "fiberglass" mesh.

But once I used the wire brush, the amount of rust through is about triple what I thought, maybe affecting 10% of the left half of the floor area. There is also a small amount of rust at the base of the toe board. Still, it all feels pretty solid.

I'm still leaning towards the POR-15 treatment, but floor pan replacement pieces are not that expensive. But I've never welded and fear that I might be in over my head if I attempt a metal replacement - a much bigger project than I anticipated. But then again, if I treat with the POR-15, the next guy may have that much more difficulty because he will have to deal with the POR-15 removal process.

So holding off for now. Plan to look closely at the passenger side within the next few days and then at the trunk and spare wheel area. If all three need metal replacement, I might buy the replacement panels, do some preliminary work and then try to find a body shop to weld in the panels.

But I'm anxious to be using the car this summer as opposed to doing body work.

On the driver's side, it looks like all the rust in from the inside. The underside looks quite smooth.

Steering wheel repair also coming along nicely using the PC-7.
I wouldn´t worry about the next guy having trouble with POR-15. It isn´t that good. A wire brush and an angle grinder will remove it easily.

In my experience unless you follow the complete POR-15 process then the chances of success are limited. This means - serious rust removal - aggressive wire brush on angle grinder treatment, then Marine clean degreaser, then metal ready several times with wire brushing in between, then POR-15...

...I have learnt that the whole ¨paint over rust¨ thing is total utter BS. The rust will quite happily carry on rusting underneath the expensive POR-15 paint.

I think you are better off using a proper rust eater such as evaporust / rustyco before using paint treatment like POR-15. Epoxy primers are also worth considering. The POR-15 tie coat primer, however, is an utter bugger to dry in this Northern European climate (!)
1992 Mercedes 190E The car that works!
Army is offline   Reply With Quote