View Single Post
Old Feb 18th, 2022, 22:13   #16
wynnj
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltec View Post
A lot of problems are ending up cheaper to buy another car rather than go to the main dealers.
But is this not the main idea? When I bought my first car in 1970 it was a 15year old split windscreen moggy minor and it was and felt like an old car. Today I have a 19 year old V70 D5, two 15year olds (S60 and Xc90 D5s) and a 13 year old C30, 1.6D (Mrs J's), but none of them feel or drive like an old car. The v70 has some wear to the driver's seat but at 192K miles I'll put up with that.
Most cars don't end their lives because of rust these days so to keep the turnover going the manufacturer has to make them uneconomical to repair. I think there's going to be an increasing number of disillusioned owners around as time goes on as more and more electric only vehicles need their batteries replaced. Yes sir, I did say £XXKs for a replacement battery - why not buy a nice new car - we've got some lovely examples in the showroom! The energy cost to the environment in producing a new car will be amortised over shorter and shorter periods but the car giants must keep their profit margins up!
P.S. No I'm not Greta Thunberg, but there's a lot of dodgy accounting going on when it comes to the total environmental cost of car ownership.
wynnj is offline   Reply With Quote