Thread: Engine: D5: - V70 very inter power loss cured !!
View Single Post
Old Mar 28th, 2009, 22:05   #1
hobbyhorse
Premier Member

Default V70 very inter power loss cured !!

This fault has been bugging me for a couple of years, it's been very intermittant & gives no fault codes : a sudden power loss in mostly second & third gear with no excess smoke from the exhaust. I think most of us are well aware of the weird & wonderful intermittant power losses caused by the fuel filter & the head scratching fault codes that arise from the fuel starvation; this next fault involves air starvation, hopefully this will help some people out:

The trusty D5

Cover removed

The inlet pipe to the turbo is not easy to reach but I'm determined to leave the top engine mount & crossbar in place

The turbo creates quite a high localised vacuum in the inlet pipework, the rubber inlet pipe has denatured & gone very soft. Under heavy boost the vacuum is sufficient to squash the pipe & stop the airflow. My paws are quite big, it's a bit of a struggle. I end up laying on the engine but that's cool 'cos I love this car

Luckily the jubilee clamps are moveable, nearly there now

The vacuum has crushed the pipe so hard it's split.

Notice the pipe is so soft I can easily squash it into a ball

The new pipe is very hard & I struggled to get the crankcase ventilation spigot in for 15 minutes before I cheated & gave the plastic body a chamfer with the Dremmel

Job done. It's been a bit of a tussle but I'm well pleased to have finally cured this fault, the car's never driven better. Also I've just got the all clear from a year long cancer scare. It's been a good day

pipe part No 30636854

Last edited by hobbyhorse; Mar 28th, 2009 at 22:12.
hobbyhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 27 Users Say Thank You to hobbyhorse For This Useful Post: