Thread: V60 d3 vea egr
View Single Post
Old Nov 21st, 2020, 15:50   #12
GrahamBrown1
VOC Member

So to finish this thread off, got the car in the workshop today, plugged it in and code stored for EGR gas flow P04D9. Check engine light is on.

Removed the cover plate for the actuator and it’s free to move, as is the vacuum actuator. So at this point I’m fairly certain the cooler will be blocked. There has been no coolant loss in general with the car so fair to say the cooler hasn’t been leaking.

Removing the EGR valve and cooler assembly is very easy and straight forward in my opinion. Sure enough when I got it removed and split the cooler from the valve, the valve wasnt to bad. The cooler however was blocked solid. Left the cooler soaking for a few hrs and cleaned the valve.

The inlet manifold was also full of dirt and gunge. I removed the MAP sensor as this was coated in sludge and cleaned this as well as the pipe from the EGR to manifold which was coated in grime. The manifold will require removing at a later date and cleaning out ideally but we shall see what happens with the car first. Ideally it wants a new cooler as well. I also found the cam cover gasket leaking so that will need doing but again there is a cost to that as the injectors will need to be removed so clamps and a washers would need to be replaced.

Anyhow all back together, there is no need for any sealant on any of the gaskets and I did not replace any gaskets. If I was fitting new parts I would replace the various gaskets but with these pressed gaskets you can get away with re using. cleared engine warming light, car is responsive and runs well. Hopefully the light will stay out for a bit. At least I know where we are with it now.

The issue with my job working for a busy agricultural main dealer is having time for your own stuff. It’s easier for me dad to take it to a garage especially between spring and end of harvest. Not sure on what’s happening with the car it might get traded in or I might mess on with it over winter we shall see.

One thing is for sure, this engine isn’t a patch on the older D5s we have had. There is lots of cheap plastic and lots of torx screws into plastic certainly assembled at lowest cost possible!

Thanks again and I will try to get some pictures on

Current- 05 XC90 D5 Exec, 12 XC70 D4 AWD Se Lux, 14 S80 D3 Se Lux

Last edited by GrahamBrown1; Nov 21st, 2020 at 16:03.
GrahamBrown1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GrahamBrown1 For This Useful Post: