View Single Post
Old Jun 26th, 2019, 23:25   #3
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dagobert View Post
Good Evening Everyone,

I have just bought a 960 Estate MY95 with SL suspension.

The back of the car sags and failed on MOT due to "serious oil leak from offside rear suspension".

My mechanic checked the car and it needs new shock absorbers and coils on both rear sides.

I read after on this forum and as I see the car has nivomat shox.
These cost a fortune but some members changed the nivos to standard shox and heavy duty coils.
I was wondering which company makes standard shox and heavy duty springs to this car?

Thank you very much in advance!
Have a look on eabay, standard rear coil springs and shocks are available at pleasntly affordable prices for the 7/9xx series.

Nivos weren't fit for purpose even when new IMHO as they didn't actually level the car, only brought the rear to about 30mm below normal ride height when fully laden. As such, they don't level the car at all, just minimise sag when laden.
A decent set of normal springs and shocks does the same job without the need to carefully drive between 0.5-1.0 mile to enable the shocks to "charge" up from the bounce.
Meanwhile you run the risk of ripping the exhaust off or similar and feel seasick - not nice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian21401 View Post
My understanding is that if Nivomats are fitted then it is not necessary to replace both. Only replace the faulty one. I appreciate that they are expensive. The rear coil springs are completely separate from the shock absorbers so why does it need new coils?
The rear coil springs for Nivos are deliberately wound longer and weaker than normal rear springs to give the extra movement the Nivos need to charge up from the bouncing motion of the car when laden. Using them with normal shocks will kill the normal shocks very quickly and give a saggy rear end to boot.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote