Thread: Seriously?
View Single Post
Old Nov 4th, 2020, 10:09   #8
Roderick Plinge

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewBrown View Post
The reason the prices are going up is because they are getting rarer cars now and dealers are beginning to take the **** with prices because of rarity.

this is mainly due to people breaking up cars especially older ones for a quick buck.
but these people don't realise there will be more parts to sell than there are cars to need the parts so eventually of to the dump with a lot of good useable parts all because of greed.

I'm all for a good reasonable price that keeps cars in circulation and out of the hands of breakers /banger boys it's better to keep the old ones going on the road or sold to somebody for a good restoration job so they can be enjoyed for the future, not just a few quid in parts because people cant be bothered to fix em.

How many older 244 or 245 cars have been scrapped for a quick buck or because the owner was too greedy or lazy??

3 or 4 grand seems reasonable for the torslander but not 8 just yet

you don't see people scrapping fords of the same era any more because they have a good market value and as a consequence a really good new parts supply, there is a good supply for parts for 200 and 100 seres cars but it seems old Volvo owners are just too tight to pay the prices which in fairness are comparable to other classic car parts prices.

I see it all the time " I want ££££££for it (over priced) but if I don't get it I will break it up" not sell it to someone for a lower price so they can keep it going/ restore it........Just Greedy if you ask me

I am in need of parts for my volvos (1971 164, 1975 245, 178 245, I saved the 1978 car from the crusher in a scrap yard in wales and it had some rare genuine Volvo accessories fitted to it too that would have been lost) but I always try to use new parts first this keeps new parts in demand and therefore not extortionate prices. you just need to shop around the web there's about 6 or 7 websites I do price checking on.

So don't break it up for parts keep it going and the second hand prices will steadily climb as it does with all classics and not jump because some greedy dealer is chancing his arm because of rarity.

if you do need the money sell the car to someone whole who will keep it going or restore it and thus keeping the values reasonable enough to afford but high enough to be a viable classic to keep on the road or restore it.

Rant over
Agree entirely!
Roderick Plinge is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Roderick Plinge For This Useful Post: