View Single Post
Old Sep 30th, 2021, 17:23   #34
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDS40 View Post

As mines an auto its not easy to drive up the ramps without going over to top, then faff around removing the undertray before even getting started on the sump plug.
Do you drive two-footed? That's a useful way of doing it. If not, select D, roll forward on the natural creep until you're just on the ramps then very gently squeeze the accelerator (no sudden "stabby" movements - be very smooth and gentle) until it just starts to creep up the ramp. Hold the accelerator there until you feel it literally go off the ramp part onto the flat part at the top - STOP!!! Apply P and/or handbrake, get out and check your alignment on the ramps. If all is well, the tyre will be on the flat part, no about to go over it with the back of the ramps lifting and not still on the ramp part of them.

Job done!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilmiont View Post
Thanks. I intend to persevere, I don't give up easily! My frustration is mainly aimed at whoever did this to the car.

The torque wrench is bi-directional (Halfords Advanced). There's a nice big arrow indicating which way to push so I'm sure it's been going in the correct direction.

I found a Seigen-branded oil extractor on eBay which seems to be a slightly cheaper version of the Sealey TP69. It said "order within 9 minutes for free next day delivery" (it was nearly 7pm last night) which sounded too good to be true; credit to them (FFX), it did get dispatched very quickly afterwards but Royal Mail didn't fulfil. I'm not too surprised in the current circumstances - maybe it will turn up tomorrow.
I would have been amazed if it had landed today! After 5pm is after the end of the working day for most people so the first working day for despatch is today - that means you should get it tomorrow.

I've been caught by similar and had that explained to me many times - ebay is no help as they only look at calendar days and not working days.

Wouldn't mind betting you end up buying an electric oil extraction pump, much easier than pumping away by hand and to be honest, most Sealey stuff is made in China and has identical unbranded equivalents. Search for a manual tyre changer on ebay, you'll find they start about £40-50. Now search for a Sealey TC960 - identical machine with Sealey stickers starting ~£180!

A welding helmet i bought on Amazon for £24.99 was delivered one thursday to me, on the Friday i was in a car spares/accessories store in Bury St Edmunds and saw the same welding helmet in the same box with a Sealey sticker on - £72.99! Go figure as our stateside cousins say!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post: