View Single Post
Old Jan 1st, 2021, 16:28   #8
Brooklyn440

Hi Everyone,

A quick update on how I am getting on. My new distributor cap and rotor arm arrived in the post so I thought it would be a quick job to fit them. However, this has not been the case. The rotor arm, which I had removed over the summer, is completely stuck in place. The existing rotor arm seems to be very well made with a metal sleeve built in which fits over the drive shaft from the engine. I think it was sunny and warm when I installed the rotor arm. Now it is cold the sleeve has contracted and despite penetrating oil, brute force and applied heat from a heat gun via a hole in a tin can, I cannot get the rotor arm off. As you can see from the attached photos, I have destroyed most of the original rotor arm in trying to remove it, but still the metal sleeve is locked in place.

I am now at a loss as what to do next – has anyone had this problem in the past and if so how was it solved? Potentially the most annoying thing may be that the now destroyed rotor arm may have been fine and it is something else which is causing my starting problem !

Fingers crossed someone can advise a way forward.

Many thanks
Martin
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Broken_off_top_of_Rotor_Arm.jpg (261.3 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg Remnants_of_Rotor_arm_still_in_place.jpg (283.2 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg Applying_heat_via_hole_base_tin_can.jpg (305.3 KB, 3 views)
Brooklyn440 is offline   Reply With Quote