Thread: General - Volvos and chip fat
View Single Post
Old Feb 5th, 2008, 13:22   #128
tfb

Some pic's of the installation attached

The hardest part of the installation (not including getting the time to do it) was finding places to physically mount the stuff to. I ended up using a length of 100mm cable tray to mount the heat exchanger, relay, din rail terminals, heated filter and 6 port valve.

The new fuel lines from the valve to the aux diesel tank run from the valve and are zip-tied to the existing fuel lines under the car and then come up through a grommet under the back seat where they then pass under the rear seat into the boot. I have left enough slack on them so that the aux tank can be lifted out of the boot for filling if required, although I can just open the boot, unscrew the cap and fill it from a pump in situ.

The aux tank is a bit bigger than I would have liked, but it offered the best shape/size combination I could find at the chandlers. There is a semi-transparent strip on the side to check the level, but I can't see the fuel behind it! so I'll just have to unscrew the cap and peek in.

I will try adding some food dye to the fuel to see how long it takes to purge the veg oil from the pump, at the moment I'm allowing about 1/2 a mile to purge at the end of the journey and it seems to work.

Future works

1) find a better way of securing the aux tank. It's fairly solid at the moment, but I wouldn't want it flying around in an accident.

2) add a buzzer, via the courtesy light to remind me if I haven't purged when I open the door.

3) add a low fuel level indicator to the aux tank.

4) wire up the light in the heated seat switch to give a visual indication when in purge or auto mode.

Regards

TFB
Attached Images
File Type: jpg new switch & LEDs.jpg (54.8 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg enigne bay.jpg (133.1 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg aux tank in boot.jpg (96.3 KB, 14 views)
tfb is offline   Reply With Quote