View Single Post
Old Dec 18th, 2017, 09:52   #10
niggly

Quote:
Originally Posted by NigelDay View Post
The smooth driving technique reminds me of the concept I saw some years ago regarding economical driving. The 'mindset' is to image you have a dinner plate stuck on the bonnet with a football sitting on it. You then drive in a manner so as to keep the football from rolling off. Yes, its' a crazy idea in practice, but as a mindset to encourage smooth driving, it works wonders for both economy and safety on winter roads.
Years ago I did one of those Driving Experience days at Bruntingthorpe. They had a VW Polo with a shallow bowl on the bonnet with a tennis ball in it. Twisty course laid out with cones. So you did the 'crazy idea' for real. Unbelievably difficult. Football on a plate? You'd never do it, it would be straight off.
They also had a classic Mini with the steering 'reversed', so turn the wheel right it turned left. Jeez that is difficult.
I've got full winters. Braking in non compacted snow I was told brake gently and the snow builds up in front of the tyres, acts to an extent like a chock.
I had a really basic Pug 205 1.8 non turbo diesel for a while. In snow, normal tyres, you could put it in 1st and just lift the clutch, don't touch the throttle peddle. It would chug up hills that all the other cars couldn't tackle. Basically it would drive on tickover.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to niggly For This Useful Post: